In 2016 we decided to consistently blog 5 days a week for 6 months. Now looking back, we attribute an enormous amount of our business’ growth over the past year to our consistent blogging schedule!! I cannot even begin to explain all of the benefits of blogging and the many ways it has positively impacted our business.
However, I (Caitlin) love to write and I love to blog, and I know that is not always the case for photographers. And you know what? That is absolutely fine. There are other parts of my job and running our business that I’m not passionate about and that I don’t love as much!!
Yet, I don’t think that any of the common excuses we hear for why other photographers don’t blog consistently are good enough reasons not to blog. 😉 Often, photographers would rather find an excuse on why not to blog rather than finding a solution on how to make it possible to blog! At the very least, we believe photographers should blog their work regularly. We also believe it can be enormously beneficial to create other content to mix in with the work that you’re shooting and blogging! Your clients and the people who follow you want to know that you are a real person, not just a person with a camera who only works and posts about work. 🙂
So, while we can’t help you write faster or make you fall in love with blogging, we can help you with a few ideas for blog post topics today! We’d encourage you to pick one of these topics per week and make it your goal to blog once a week for the next month. Start there, and blog more frequently as you go! Remember, consistency is key, so blogging once per week for a few months is better than blogging daily for a week and stopping for another few months.
Here are a few ideas for blog posts to get you started!!
– Your “WHY”: why you do what you do
– Your favorite part of your job as a photographer
– A day in the life as a photographer
– Your biggest dreams or personal & business goals
– A tip for photographers
– A tip for your clients (brides planning weddings, families planning their session, etc.!)
– A personal post about a trip or what you have been up to lately
– The gear you can’t live without
– Solve a problem you keep encountering with your clients (for example, brides not including enough time in their timeline for something). FAQ’s are awesome blog post material!
– A list of book recommendations or a recent book review
**BONUS** Blog about local events that are happening in your town! Those can be some of your best-viewed blog posts because you never know who is searching for events local to you!
And there you have it! They’re pretty easy, right? And remember friends, all you need is a minimum of 300 words, and you’re golden! For more tips on how to start blogging, head on over to read this post– we have a TON of more helpful tips there!